04 Sep

Kossel – some months in

I think a holiday was what I needed to get my head in the right place for this stupid printer!

IMG_3045

Turns out the current Marlin forks have removed the probe feature, as its being reworked. I figured this out in the longest way possible – after around two days of calibrating my z offsets with software. I go to probe, nothing happens. I re compile my old firmware, i get the probe, but no soft end stops. Two weeks later, I just accept that, and use my screws as end stop offsets, and I have the probe back.

Other mods have been a new fan bracket thing for the hot end – it kept colliding into the X and Y towers – now they’re at an offset and fits well – what it hits now though, is the probe pillar, the little thing that puts the probe away after it completes its 22 point calibration!

Maybe I should go to FSRs, but that would mean that I have to undo / redo a lot of work – not happening anytime soon!

The fans are too good though, and my stupid heater cannot manage to keep temps. it got to around 180 despite the target being 210. I reached for my e – z fuse tape, and applied it – now its lovely and insulated, looks pretty decent also.

WP_20150904_13_17_15_Pro

I’m running new filament, after printing a new spool holder, the thing can be left, I’ve gone shopping to return home to completed prints, its a good feeling! The filament looks good, I have printed around a third of the spool so far, and its been trouble free.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:992116

IMG_3043

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ERCEAGW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1441382224&sr=1&keywords=filament

I did have some prints go bad, what looks like the z axis got some skipped steps (on a delta that looks like steps skipped in x / y), not sure why, I did some oiling, and then decided its due to the belts being a bit too tight. When the effector was dancing around doing small infills, it would be quite graunchy, so I slackened off the belts a little and that appears to make it nice and smooth. I ran some prints very slowly last night and the loudest thing was the fan on the hot end – its a very quiet machine.

I also got around to printing and installing the LCD cover – which makes things nice and tidy – it isn’t the nicest of models though…

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:320117

I also had a go at using meshmixer to generate some rather intelligent support structures – unfortunately it fall off mid way through the structure – but due to the wonders of reprap, it somehow fixed itself when it counted!WP_20150831_17_13_42_Pro WP_20150831_17_38_46_Pro

I doubt i’ll get time for many more mods to be honest, but the list is still there

Images:

I know Mark uses this model on his i3 so thought i’d do the same.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37327

IMG_3047 IMG_3048

Some more Grasshopper generate forms  – using the same two profile rails, I was able to modify the amount of divisions of the curve, then draw an arc between the two curves along the sub division. Data MAtching Arc with loft

IMG_3064

 

These guys were printed flat, at 0.2mm and 0.3mm

IMG_3050  IMG_3049

I then re oriented them vertically – spiral vase mode. 0.2mm approx 10mm/s!

IMG_3067 IMG_3069 IMG_3070

Grasshopper vase, worked really well – apart from the undersides of the wibbly bits. I think I will re print, but at a much slower speed – you can see the errors just building up from a previous blip.

IMG_3065

 

Last Updated on 12 October 2015 by Mark