26 May

New build

I fancied making my own VPIP based V plotter – and made some very minor alterations to the cad data (plastic parts) in the process.

WP_20160525_17_38_53_Pro

Just some of the parts required to build the thing – dog optional.

IMG_0595

IMG_0597

The plastic parts for the build. Printed on my Mini Kossel in el cheapo blue via amazon @0.2mm layer height.

IMG_0598

The first job was to deburr the parts that required it – note the colour change depending on light conditions! The below image is a truer representation of the actual parts.

IMG_0603

Bashing the pulley thingies onto the motor shafts

IMG_0607

Followed by mounting the motors.

IMG_0614

And what is potentially the coolest part of the project (IMHO) is a swappable thing that allows for the pen nib to be stabilised. I have a couple of these with different diameter holes for the different sized pen nibs, eg a sharpie. This should keep the pen at 90 degrees to the paper and not move around inside the gondola. It just needs a deburr in the below image.

And as usual, I got carried away building the thing to carry on taking photos…

IMG_0616

Firstly I extended the mounting brackets for the motors – this will allow me to position the endstop encoders later down the line.

home endstop home endstop exploded

These are v1 of the endstop thingies – they will protrude fromt eh front of the machine, but its really the only way I could get it to work ATM. It has Z adjustment with the M3 screw and two captive nuts, and Y adjustment of up to 10mm – having not used these before – hopefully this will give plenty of adjustment to the ball string on the machines.

I reduced the diameter of the gondola so it would print on my mini Kossel (160mm). I also added another screw mounting to hold all the components together.

WP_20160525_17_39_39_Pro

WP_20160525_17_57_33_Pro

I added a spacing for the bearing housing  – allowing the shaft to move freely as it was being constrained by the enclosed design, as you can see from the lovely image below  – grey bits are the recess!

bearing bit [Converted]

The weights now have their own printed mounting – V1 worked with a little filing, so V2 I’ll try and fix that!

WP_20160525_17_39_48_Pro

I finally got around to building the new Hat for the Pi, but that has a few teething problems at the mo – so currently its not moving.

IMG_0617

This also has its own electronics mount – but I forgot about the SD reader at the bottom of the Pi, so I had to hack away at it a bit! I aim to make a cover for the electronics at a later date.

WP_20160525_17_39_30_Pro

I added cable sleeve and that makes it look that little bit better – but the cheap DuPont connectors are utter crap and just pull apart without any prompting >:(.

So, hopefully the config for the UART will get sorted reasonably soon, so I can start drawing with this damn thing! Its been a fun build though, I hope the work on the plastic parts can result in some high res / fast drawings to be created – speaking of which, better get cracking with that!

Some of the beginnings of the drawings…

voroni

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

02 May

V-Plotter in the library – part 4

Joseph Warin has continued to create some work for the plotters – this time using drawing inspiration from Alan Kitchen:

I was inspired by Alan Kitchen, his letterpress print technique and colour schemes.

The print today was just a test run on CMYK colour and how long it would take the machine to draw them. 

WP_20160429_13_42_08_ProWP_20160429_13_42_19_Pro WP_20160429_13_42_15_Pro