I think a holiday was what I needed to get my head in the right place for this stupid printer!
Turns out the current Marlin forks have removed the probe feature, as its being reworked. I figured this out in the longest way possible – after around two days of calibrating my z offsets with software. I go to probe, nothing happens. I re compile my old firmware, i get the probe, but no soft end stops. Two weeks later, I just accept that, and use my screws as end stop offsets, and I have the probe back.
Other mods have been a new fan bracket thing for the hot end – it kept colliding into the X and Y towers – now they’re at an offset and fits well – what it hits now though, is the probe pillar, the little thing that puts the probe away after it completes its 22 point calibration!
Maybe I should go to FSRs, but that would mean that I have to undo / redo a lot of work – not happening anytime soon!
The fans are too good though, and my stupid heater cannot manage to keep temps. it got to around 180 despite the target being 210. I reached for my e – z fuse tape, and applied it – now its lovely and insulated, looks pretty decent also.
I’m running new filament, after printing a new spool holder, the thing can be left, I’ve gone shopping to return home to completed prints, its a good feeling! The filament looks good, I have printed around a third of the spool so far, and its been trouble free.
I did have some prints go bad, what looks like the z axis got some skipped steps (on a delta that looks like steps skipped in x / y), not sure why, I did some oiling, and then decided its due to the belts being a bit too tight. When the effector was dancing around doing small infills, it would be quite graunchy, so I slackened off the belts a little and that appears to make it nice and smooth. I ran some prints very slowly last night and the loudest thing was the fan on the hot end – its a very quiet machine.
I also got around to printing and installing the LCD cover – which makes things nice and tidy – it isn’t the nicest of models though…
I also had a go at using meshmixer to generate some rather intelligent support structures – unfortunately it fall off mid way through the structure – but due to the wonders of reprap, it somehow fixed itself when it counted!
I doubt i’ll get time for many more mods to be honest, but the list is still there
I know Mark uses this model on his i3 so thought i’d do the same.
These guys were printed flat, at 0.2mm and 0.3mm
I then re oriented them vertically – spiral vase mode. 0.2mm approx 10mm/s!
Grasshopper vase, worked really well – apart from the undersides of the wibbly bits. I think I will re print, but at a much slower speed – you can see the errors just building up from a previous blip.
Some time ago, and I’m not prepared to say long, I stumbled on a project in Make magazine, the Fetch-o-matic, we have a ball obsessed dog and I decided I had to make one. Overall the project was simple enough to make, I made a few modifications, mainly to suit the motor I got, the pictures should make it all clear.
I Finally completed it over the weekend, at least to point where I could try it with the dogs.
I’ll start by saying that when I built the dog kennel, it took a good few months before either of our dogs showed any interest in it. I’m hoping the same will happen with the fetch-o-matic cause I had a frustrating Sunday trying to get Rylie to drop the ball into the hopper. I was depending on her ball obsession and her habit of dropping a ball anywhere where I happen to be focussing my attention, If I hang out washing I usually find the ball in the washing basket, If I dig up some potatoes the ball gets dropped in the hole, If I shovel some compost the ball gets placed in the wheelbarrow, you get the idea. No matter how much attention I gave the hopper the only way the ball ended up in it was if I put there. Just to make her point, on Monday morning I was drinking a cup of tea outside, Rylie jumped on the table and dropped a ball in the mug.
<Video to follow>
Our other dog, Seamus just barks at the machine whenever I put a ball into it but he does that when I throw things for him too. At least he did learn fairly quickly to get out of the way.
There are a few improvements to make still, I think the bar will wear out where it pivots on the shaft so I would like to create a hub for the bar, connected to the shaft using a proper bearing, should be easy enough to make on a lathe. The lever I made to operate the micro-switch uses duct tape as a hinge, this works quite well but I think I need a tape with stronger adhesive. A stronger spring or maybe a weighted bar may also help give it more range.
Update: Made a little bit of progress with Rylie today, got her to drop the ball in the right place a few times but she’s not getting the connection between dropping the ball in the spot and having it launch. Originally the whole thing was painted white but I’ve now painted the hopper a different colour, which may have helped a bit. I’ve gone for Blue hopper which should be a colour dogs can perceive. Seamus, as ever, just barks at it.
Rylie does seem more interested in actual interaction with me than I was expecting, as Jonathan suggested might be the case. We may have to arrange for an event in a local park so we can bring our respective dogs and see what chaos ensues.