21 Oct

Minions Operation

I bought a Minions Operation game for my Nephew & Nieces (who are Minion mad) but it felt like (MB Games?) Hasbro Games missed a trick by not having it play Minions samples. So I added that feature by adding a WT588D voice module controlled by an Arduino Mini Pro.

This meant dismantling the whole thing and breaking the plastic rivet things… I guess it won’t be going back to Amazon any time soon 🙂

I made use of the ‘buzzer’ by driving it with a transistor for 500ms. I’ll replace the light bulb with an LED that stays lit while the sample is playing.

IMG_20151021_194450

The original version doesn’t need a power switch as the tweezers and metal base are the switch. My version draws power when idle, so I needed to remind people it was still switched on. I added a ‘nag’ mode that plays ~60 second samples of one of the 3 Minions cover version songs (selected at random) every 2 minutes if nothing happens, until someone turns off the power (when I add a power switch). Nag mode is really really annoying after a while – especially when you are trying to test it works properly…

I’ve got to put all of the electronics on a prototype board and then cram all of this stuff plus batteries underneath the playing surface. There isn’t enough room in the original battery/buzzer box, but it looks like the plastic frame is designed with extra modules in mind so I should be able to design and 3d print a suitable enclosure.

The WT588D has 32MB of flash memory which was more than enough for 40+ samples at 22000Hz Mono as well as the 3 x nag tunes and then some. I think it was showing 88% used in the upload software.

minions_3_line_mode_data_capture

It is run in 3 line mode with 3 pins to ‘select’ the device, send a clock signal and pulse the binary data that corresponds to a randomly chosen sample. I think it was playing sample 32 when the scope captured this clock (top) and data.

21 Oct

Music box

 

Edit – copyright claim!! omg. YEah so will dispute for fair usage!

 

A quick demo of a project Asha is working on, hopefully i’ll edit this post with a bit more info as it comes.

Short story is that it is a flex sensor running through a pro mini, and using the radio chips that Neil kindly donated. The data is driven through Max MSP which in turn increases and decreases the level of volume through the PC.

Maybe I can persuade her to write about its process here….

 

 

18 Oct

3020 playtime

Playing with my CNC after a few weeks off. Its making a bracket for a lamp that is taking me forever to getting finished.

Feed is 1500mm/s with a 2mm cut depth – job time was 3.5 mins! Takes 1.5 hrs to print out, and that’s only 5mm high (this stock is 10mm).

It’s also a little easier to tidy as the dust isn’t airborne, and not micro fine like the plywood was.